There are several artists named Earth: 1) An experimental/psychedelic drone doom band from Olympia, WA, United States, led by Dylan Carlson. 2) A death metal band from Melbourne, Australia. 3) A pop trio from Japan. 4) A progressive trance project by DJ Sangeet. 5) The original name of heavy metal pioneers Black Sabbath.
1) Earth is an American band formed in 1990 in Olympia, Washington, United States by Dylan Carlson, Slim Moon, and Greg Babior. They are pioneers in the minimalistic and repetitive form of doom metal known as drone doom, but considerably changed their style over time, today playing what one might consider a distinct kind of instrumental psychedelic rock. The band at some point moved to Seattle where Carlson forged a strong friendship with grunge music icon Kurt Cobain, who sang lead vocals for the song "Divine and Bright" on the live album "Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars". Cobain also appeared as a "specialist" on Earth's 1990 debut release "Extra-Capsular Extraction", and sang backing vocals on "A Bureaucratic Desire for Revenge Part 2". Joe Preston, who played bass briefly with the Melvins, also appears on this 3-song CD.
Dylan Carlson has been the driving force of the band and still remains the core of an everchanging line-up. As of the release of their most recent album, titled "The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull", Earth consists of Dylan Carlson (guitars/amplifiers), Adrienne Davies (drums/percussion), Steve Moore (acoustic and electric pianos/wurlitzer) and Karl Blau (acoustic/electric bass). Bill Frisell appeared as a guest guitarist on three songs. Official website: http://www.thronesanddominions.com
2) Earth was an Australian death metal band from Melbourne. They are rarely active as they don't play live, except on occasion as part of international tours. They were well known in the Melbourne Metal scene and played many times at Metal For The Brain (a long-running annual Australian Heavy Metal festival held in Canberra, which ended its run in 2006). They were once signed to High Voltage Records (now possibly defunct) under which they released a full-length album. Former member Terry is now in a band called Canyonaero and Rick and John are now in a band called Darkest Dawn (previously known as The Deadly).
3) EARTH was a Japanese pop trio, best known for their song "Color of Seasons".
4) Earth is a progressive trance project by DJ Sangeet.
5) Earth was the original name of heavy metal pioneer band Black Sabbath. They soon adopted the title of their famous song "Black Sabbath" as their band name after they found that they were being confused with another local band also named Earth.
6) Earth is the voice of Icelandic electronic pioneers GusGus.