Shankar Mahadevan biography
Shankar Mahadevan is a Tamil-Indian singer and music composer. He gained fame for his album entitled Breathless in which he sings constantly for over three minutes without pausing for taking a breath which is not true..he did take breaths..because it is not possible to sing in a single breath. An accomplished musician in Tamil cinema, he is a part of the Shankar Ehsaan Loy trio team that provides music to Bollywood films.
Official website: http://shankarmahadevan.com
Official Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/shankarlive
Official Twitter Page: http://www.twitter.com/shankar_live
Shankar Mahadevan was born in Chennai, India to a Tamil family. He learned Indian Classical Music and Carnatic music in his childhood and started playing Veena at the age of five.He went to OLPS High School in Chembur.He did his engineering in electronics from R.A.I.T (D Y Patil,Navi Mumbai). As of now he sings songs in Hindi, Tamil, Kannada,Telugu, Marathi, and Carnatic.
Though a software engineer by profession and having worked for Oracle Corporation, Shankar's interest in music made him venture into the field of music. He got his first award as a playback singer in Chennai film music, collaborating with A. R. Rahman and winning a National Film Award for his song in Kandukondain Kandukondain. A prominent star in the Kodambakkam film industry, he later gained more recognition by releasing his first music album called Breathless. He later got into music direction and became a part of the Shankar Ehsaan Loy trio, composing music for Bollywood films.
He enjoys a successful run with Fusion-Jazz band SILK with Louis Banks on Keyboards, Sivamani on percussion, Sridhar Parthasarathy on Mridangam and Karl Peters on Bass Guitar.
Shankar Mahadevan has also provided vocals for several compositions of Remember Shakti which features maestros like Zakir Hussain, John McLaughlin, U. Srinivas and Selvaganesh Vinayakram.
He is also a mentor on Zee TV's musical reality show Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge 2009.
2007: Yesudas Award for his outstanding contribution to Indian film music.
National Film Awards
2000: Best Playback Singer (Male) win for song: "Yenna Solla Pogirai" from Kandukondain Kandukondain
2003: Best Music Direction win for Kal Ho Naa Ho
2005: Best Music Direction win for Bunty Aur Babli..
Star Screen Awards
2000: Best Background Music nomination for Mission Kashmir
2001: Best Music Direction win for Dil Chahta Hai
2005: Best Music Direction win for Bunty aur Babli
Music Composing Filmography
* From Chandni Chowk to China (Hindi) (2008)
* Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic (Hindi) (2008)
* Yavarum Nalam (Tamil) (2008) ... (announced)
* Rock On (2008)
* Kismat Talkies (2009) ... (announced)
* High School Musical 2 Soundtrack (Hindi Version)
* Taare Zameen Par (2007) ... (Released)
* Johnny Gaddaar (2007) ... (Release)
* Jhoom Barabar Jhoom (2007)
* Hey Baby (2007)
* Marigold: An Adventure In India (2007)
* Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute To Love (2007)
* Don - The Chase Begins Again (2006)
* Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (2006)
* Dil Jo Bhi Kahey... (2005)
* Bunty Aur Babli (2005)
* Vanity Fair (2004)
* Phir Milenge (2004)
* Lakshya (2004)
* Kyun...! Ho Gaya Na (2004)
* Rudraksh (2004)
* Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003)
* Kuch Naa Kaho (2003)
* Nayee Padosan (2003)
* Armaan (2003)
* Ek Aur Ek Gyarah (2003)
* Yeh Kya Ho Raha Hai? (2002)
* Dil Chahta Hai (2001)
* Aalavandhan/Abhay (2001)
* Mission Kashmir (2000)
* Dillagi (1999)
* Shool (1999)
* Dus (1997)
* Breathless - Breathless is the album that first gave him fame, including the song, "Breathless," in which he sings through the whole song without pausing to breathe.
* Nine - Nine is Shankar's most recent album. Each song is a representation of a "mood," including joy, sadness, love, etc.